Sunday, June 7, 2009

Drunkards Path and Thistles

What a beautiful day on Saturday!!! DH went to a ball game in Toronto so I had the whole day to myself. I spent the morning working on quilting designs for the Drunkards Path.

Afternoon and evening was spent in the cutting garden.

The cutting garden clean-up is coming along slowly. Dig-up is more like it, since that's what I'm doing. It's just so darned BIG.

And it's in front of the veggie garden, so every weed in that garden moves in with the flowers... just one big happy family. I filled two large garden carts with chives and that's only half of them. They're so thick there's no dirt left between them.

I'm at the mid-way point. Past it, really.

But the worst is coming up - LOOK at those thistles. Pulling them doesn't help - they have long runner roots that go underneath as many plants as possible. So yup, everything is getting dug out to at least one foot down.




My brother gave me this funny contraption years ago. It's called a Grasshopper. He likes to call it a Polish Go-Cart. I find myself using it more and more - definitely a good gift for any gardener. The seat lifts up and you can keep your tools or an emergency martini in there.
And here's my useless assistant. We call her blabber-mouth. That is her frisbee folded in half. I don't think she knows just how silly she looks. If someone sees her like this we tell them she's retarded. Or that we're just fostering her until a permanent home comes available. It is really a CHEWBER and it's guaranteed for life. It's at two years and still perfect, so maybe???

Spending hours and hours alone in the garden, listening to the birds, gives your mind a chance to really wander. To very weird places. Yesterday I was pondering worms, which I love. In the garden. The next time you see a thief digging up your lawn to steal your worms, don't necessarily think it's a fisherman. I was thinking about death. You know, if I died today was my yesterday a good last day? (yes, it was) I was thinking about a gal I used to work with and haven't seen in 25 years. Wondering what happened to her and thinking maybe I should 'google' her. I was watching the birds enjoy the birdbath and thinking that I should put a birdbath somewhere back here in the garden. I was cursing the snails and trying to kill them really fast so I didn't inflict undue terror on them. (huh??? Yeah, seriously.) And I was singing a Beatles tune in my head for a long time. Now I can't remember what the song was. I was thinking about my niece, who should be coming home from Singapore soon, for her brother's wedding. I miss knowing she's close, even though I only saw her for family events. Well, now that I've given you THAT little slice of my brain... have a great Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, sounds like a perfect day! Your helper is funny and we must have some humor ever day (every hour for me because I laugh at myself so much). But you gave me an idea. I wonder if I weeded the garden WHILE drinking a gin and tonic, would I still be allergic? Must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the designs you have for the Drunkards Path... Can't wait to see it quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the colors for your Drunkards Path. Excellent.
    I also love your garden!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...