Sunday, July 17, 2011

Renewed Garden, Zucchini, and "MEN!!"

I've had some complaints that I haven't posted photos of the renewed flower bed out front.  The plants have been in for a few days now, and DH finished up today with topsoil and mulch.
This is where I do the
"MEN - LOVE THEM OR KILL THEM?"  report.

This is definitely a LOVE THEM. A yard of topsoil and three yards of mulch, all  laid down by DH in the freshly planted garden.  Sure doesn't look like two hundred bucks in shrubs, does it?  It cost that much for the top dressings, too.

This is in the KILL THEM category.  Self explanatory.

I realize that most quilters who do a weekly report are keeping track of their fabric stash, which in theory will diminish over time. Being both a quilter AND a gardener, I find that in the summer I do waaay more picking of zucchini than cutting and sewing of fabric. So in deference to Mother Nature, I bring you....

The Zucchini Report

Z. eaten this week:  3
Z. frozen this week: 0
Z. given away this week: 9
Z. in the fridge right now:  1
Z. y.t.d.:                           13

At the height of the season this may get to be a bit much to keep track of.  We will have to see how it goes.  There are days when I could pick eight or ten zucchinis and give some away every day.  I'm not sure I'm ready to keep a real accounting on paper so my numbers could be a bit dodgy.  I may also have to add a new column for "Z. pitched into the field because they ended up to be the size of a fence post".  Hmm, come to think of it, I may also add a subcategory for "number of complaints received from DH about zucchini on the menu".  It will be fun to see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - share your wisdom...