Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Retail Therapy, Commission, Driving Cautions

Sunday was my day out with the girls to the Halton Quilt Show. And an excellent show it was. I fell off the wagon a wee bit and bought 4 of the Grinch panels and 2 fat quarters.  The FQ's were purchased to go in my 'writing/letters/words' collection. I was pretty surprised at how many people I bumped into - it felt like I spent more time talking than looking at the quilts.

Since it was pouring rain, when I got home I went to work on the commission quilt. I love these Goose in the Pond blocks. But if you look closely, the brown centre square is a striped fabric. Did I pay attention to the direction of said stripe when I was connecting the blocks? Um, no. Crap. My stitch ripper got a bit of a workout.

Here are two rows complete (with the centre squares all pointing in the proper direction).

As for the Driving Cautions... the OPP currently has a blitz on to (ahem) REMIND drivers to pay attention.  No cell phones, no texting, no eating, no makeup applying, no map reading, etc.  Thank the good Lord they were nowhere near me on Monday.  I was bringing Mom home from her appointment at the pacemaker clinic, and in spite of her hearty breakfast at 'the home', she told me she was hungry.  I mean, she told me every two minutes for an hour and a half, because she forgets every two minutes that she just told me.  Oy yoy yoy.  How many times can you listen to someone tell you the same thing???  Add to that the situation where she is really, really hard of hearing.  What?  Hard of hearing.  What is part of cleaning?  No - HARD OF HEARING.  What do you mean earring?  And by now, she's forgotten, so she tells me again that she's hungry.  Solution?  A pit stop at Timmies for tea & timbits.  I get her a small steeped tea with double milk & double sugar, and two timbits so I hopefully don't spoil her lunch.  The drive-thru gal hands me the tea and I check it, since Timmies is notorious for screwing up your order.  Sure enough, the tea is black, and I have to give it back to be fixed.  Then I drive over to an empty area of the parking lot where I can undo the lid and open up the little sippy opening part.  So, I hand Mom her tea, and pop open the bag and show her the timbits, and we head back out on the road.  She gets a timbit and eats it, then takes the lid completely off her tea so she can have a drink.  Aaargh - you KNOW how much of a mess she's making now, right?  So I'm driving and trying to put the lid back on her tea, when she tells me she's hungry and wants to get something to eat.  Aaargh - she's forgotten that she has a bag of food sitting on her lap.  I stick her tea (with the lid ON) in the cup holder beside me, grab the bag and show her the food, then reach over and get a napkin out of the glovebox and wipe the spilled tea from her coat.  Then I gently rip the tab off the lid opening, replace the lid and hand her the tea.  All the while I'm madly weaving from one lane to another, and back again.  The gods were smiling on me, though, with no traffic anywhere near me.  Sigh.  I'm staying home the rest of the week. 

1 comment:

  1. First off, I looked but I didn't see you at the Halton QS. I too bought a bit of fabric - the fat quarters that were 2 bucks a piece. Secondly, you should have gotten a 10 pack of Timbits since it would have lasted longer and kept your mom's mouth busy - for a little peace and quiet. My mom loves her small tea black with lots of sugar. We always ask for 3 sugar and it's still not enough. Oh well, we carry extra sugar bags with us.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...