Monday, October 5, 2009

Caledonia Fair weekend

Mmmm - Curried Butternut Squash & Apple Soup: garden bounty going right into my tummy (after I modify it just a wee bit). Click on the photo if you'd like the recipe large enough to copy. My brother and his wife came Saturday afternoon - we went to the Caledonia Fair to check out my winnings.

Not bad - 3 ribbons out of 5 entries.

Along with the soup I made Crock Pot Pulled Pork for the first time. I figured it was family, so if supper was crap we could always move on to plan B and order Chinese food. But it was DELICIOUS. Home made rolls courtesy of our new bread maker and Keeps Forever Coleslaw that I made a little while ago. Roasted potato wedges and sweet potato wedges. This was all washed down with large quantities of red wine and spicy Caesars.

Afterwards we watched Coraline - the animated movie by Tim Burton. Good movie but kinda gruesome, as you'd expect from Mr. Burton. Coraline had to save the ghost children by finding their eyeballs. Yikes!

Bruce & Deb spent the night seeing as how much alcohol had been consumed, AND it was very late. It was really nice to spend some time with them. Back in our 20's we lived together in a duplex in Hamilton so I miss the comfort of familiarity sometimes. We sent them back to Burlington with chili peppers for the newlyweds (who live very close to them) and a rototiller to do a little garden work.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good time - ceasars, eh? My fav. Good going with the ribbons at the fair.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...