Saturday, May 17, 2014

Crayon Box quilt & Eat-At-Home day 5 report & a Recipe

You have heard me refer to the Scrappy Club that I'm in - this is the Crayon Box quilt, made from a pattern by Quiltville (link HERE).  This is not my quilt - it belongs to one of the other gals.

I quilted this with a pantograph design: "Axel".  This is one of my new favorite patterns.
Okey dokey.  On to food & prepping.  Friday was a complete success - everything consumed came from existing supplies already here - no shopping involved.
Breakfast - same old oatmeal.  I finished off the bowl - I'll have to make a fresh 5-day batch tomorrow.  Yeah - I eat the same thing for breakfast almost every single day of the year.  Here is a LINK to my recipe, although now I also add about a cup of chopped walnuts when I add the cinnamon.
Lunch - yogurt sweetened with maple syrup & cherries (cherries from freezer - from our own tree, too!)
Supper - ooh - yum.  DH made Linguine with Saucy Ham and Peas.  This is a recipe I cut out of the newspaper eons ago.  The credit printed at the end says "Company's Coming Cook for Kids".  I can't find it on web so I'll add it at the bottom.
Snack - cheese & crackers with my glass of wine, while relaxing in my jammies with a book.

Today is the last day of this challenge and unfortunately (or not?  :-) ) this will be another 'fail'.  We are going to my nephew's for dinner (1-800-luke.  You know, our tech support nephew, ha ha.  He cooks too!  And once again, don't phone that number - I'm only kidding.)  I'm glad this challenge is almost finished.  Blogging every day is throwing a real kerfuffle into my morning routine.  I love blogging, but it is absolutely time consuming.

LINGUINE WITH SAUCY HAM AND PEAS
Serves 4

Sauce (makes 3 cups):
1 1/2 c. milk
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder *
1/8 tsp onion powder *
1 C. diced cooked ham
1 C. frozen peas *
1/3 C. sour cream *
=====================
8 oz. Linguine pasta
12 C. boiling water
1 Tbsp. salt
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
=====================
Sauce:
  • gradually whisk milk into flour in medium saucepan until smooth
  • stir in salt, garlic powder and onion powder
  • heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until boiling and thickened
  • stir in ham and peas, then bring to a boil
  • stir in sour cream
  • keep warm until serving.
Pasta:
  • bring water and salt to a boil in large uncovered pot or Dutch oven
  • add pasta and cook for 11 - 13 minutes, until tender but firm
  • drain, then transfer to a large bowl
  • toss with sauce
  • sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
* and * and * and *
DH used real garlic and real onion.  He also added lots more veggies:  chopped fresh broccoli and fresh (from the garden!) asparagus and fresh red pepper.  We don't have sour cream, so this got plain yogurt instead. And there was no 'sprinkling' of parmesan cheese.  We throw it in by the generous handful.  Probably not good for my cholesterol, but after Thursday's bacon and deep fried dessert, what the hell difference does a bit of cheese make now?

1 comment:

  1. I love that quilt design. "Axe" looks great! And dinner at the nephew's is a darn good reason for a fail on the last day. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...