Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Quilts of Valour and a Retreat

I have made a personal commitment to donate my quilting services to the Quilts of Valour program to the tune of 12 quilts per year.  These two quilts are numbers 6 and 7.  Number 8 is quilted and waiting to be washed.  Numbers 9, 10 and 11 are in a bag waiting for my attention.

I connect at the Binbrook Quilters Guild with Alison McDonald (who is the southern Ontario representative for QOV)  and give her a little tap on the shoulder when I want her to top up my supply of tops.  Sometimes I do machine binding on the quilts, and sometimes I enlist the help of my friend Sue who does beautiful hand stitched binding.

Last weekend was spent on our semi-annual retreat at Margaret's in the Kawarthas.  OMG what gorgeous weather we had.  And we had to help burn off 3/4 of a tank of gas so the boat can go to winter camp.  I wish I could have stayed there.

I'm telling you.  Next year I am scheduling one day per month for a crisis.  You've heard about my year so far.  You could probably hear the whining even with your computer turned off.  I got home from Margaret's about 2 pm on Sunday, with just enough time to grab a sandwich then head over to the fairgrounds to do my time in the quilt guild booth at the Caledonia Fall Fair.  By the time I got the booth taken down (with DH's help - thank you honey!!) and got home it was 7 pm.  So - supper, unpack my suitcase, read for an hour, then bed.

Monday morning I spent putting quilts away that had been in the booth, and putting away stuff I had taken to Margaret's.  I was trying to clean the house before my 11 am customers arrived, but they surprised me at 10:30.  At noon I got a phone call that our niece and her boyfriend needed a temporary home for the month of October.  Oh yeah, and they were moving in tonight.  Hah!

It's true we have a big house and lots of room, but every room is full of our stuff.  And no one REALLY wants anybody to know how they actually live.  So I finished cleaning (and did a much better job than I would normally).  Then I had to clean out closet space, empty the dresser, spit polish the bathroom and empty out a drawer in there, move the winter coats out of the hall closet so they can put their coats away, clean all the crap out of the fridge because they are moving their kitchen contents too, and, oh, I forget what else...  Then DH had to shovel out space in the garage for the furniture.

Tuesday morning I made a large Shepherd's Pie and tucked it in the fridge with cooking instructions.  Then I headed off to the dentist because I had finally rebooked the appointment I cancelled back in January (broken arm incident, remember?).  Apparently your teeth need a lot more time with the hygienist when you wait a year between cleanings.  Which meant I was much later than I planned when I visited Mom.  Who, it turns out, has intestinal flu, which I didn't know until after I'd been there for a half hour and watched Mom eat all four Timbits.  I hope there were no bad repercussions from that, or the nursing home staff are going to hate me.  I also hope I didn't CATCH her flu.  Oy yoy yoy.

By the time I got home the niece had supper in the oven, but the pan, sadly, was not big enough for all the stuff I put in there and the whole house was full of smoke.  Now my lovely blue oven is black, black, black.  This weekend I am going to try out the self clean feature.  I sure hope y'all are having a better year than we are.  Maybe in my next blog post I can find something funny to write about.

1 comment:

  1. My life is in chaos too at the moment, although there are only the 2 of us living here. So many quilters are posting of stress and chaos these days that I wonder about some universal force that may be interfering with our lives.
    I keep saying 'this too shall pass' but as soon as it does, something else takes over my life.


Please - share your wisdom...