Monday, June 3, 2013

Redwork Bonnet Girls and Roast Beef

I have a real fondness for embroidery, and these bonnet girls are beautifully done.

This was quilted with s.i.d. around the blocks, and along a lot of the embroidery.  This quilt sat here for a while before I could tackle it, because of the cast and the need for me to hang on to a curved edge ruler for the quilting.  Yeah, the blocks are all this cute.

The sashing has a pansy design quilted on it, although you really cannot see that on the front.
Tonight for supper we are having Teriyaki Roast Beef.  It was a compromise - I was feeding DH salmon last night for supper (which is very, very LOW on his list of edible foods) in exchange for the beef tonight (which is very, very low on my list of cholesterol-friendly foods).  In the end, he was whining so much about the salmon that he ate the leftover black bean & corn enchilada for supper instead.  That's ok - more for me!!!

Yesterday I was flipping through recipe books to plan this week's menu, then went downstairs(*) to check on what was available in the freezer.  Options:  chicken or roast beef or bacon.  I am not qualified to plan a meal around bacon, so Roast Beef was the final decision.  This recipe is from a cookbook dated 1977 - probably before you could just go and buy a jar of teriyaki sauce.  I always prefer home made but you could easily use the commercial stuff.
==================================

TERIYAKI ROAST BEEF - about 14 servings

1 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. light cooking oil
1/4 c. light molasses
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
8 cloves garlic, minced

1 6 lb. to 7 lb. boneless beef rib roast
  • Combine the marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag.  Add the beef to the bag and marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
  • Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade.  Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.  Roast at 325 to desired doneness (140 for rare - 3 hours, 160 for medium - 4 hours or 170 for well done - 4 3/4 hours)
  • While the meat is roasting, baste several times with the reserved marinade.
  • Remove roast from oven, cover with foil and let stand about 15 minutes before carving.
===================================
The roast I'm using today is MUCH smaller so I have altered the quantities accordingly.  In the past I have done this in the oven, AND on the bbq.  Today it's in the crockpot with carrots & onions.  I put the marinade in the crock and added about an equal quantity of water, because the soy sauce makes this a bit salty.

(*) downstairs - I swear that one of these days I am moving the freezer up to the kitchen.  You have no idea how many times I go downstairs to get something.  I could put the dining room table downstairs in it's place, considering how often I use that.

2 comments:

  1. The red work quilt is so cute. The quilting enhanced the design. Did the quiltmaker say whether or not she used a commercial pattern and if so, whose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pre-printed blocks. The are in packages of 12 blocks and can be purchased from Mary Maxim in Paris, On. There are sets of girls, like what you see here, and also sets of boys. Really cute.

      Delete

Please - share your wisdom...