Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Star Quilt and Communist Plots

I finished up a quilt today - leafy/curl vine in the outer border, up & down leaves in the inner border, then a leaf/curl meander in the body. The thread was a pretty variegated which doesn't show up in the photos.


DH was hard at work starting to set posts for my (soon) new railing. I have sooo many customers with bad knees/hips/other body parts I know they will appreciate this. It is crazy warm weather - you can see he's working in shirt sleeves. Tonight they are calling for over an inch of rain. If we were having NORMAL weather this would be 10 inches of snow (according to About.com). Hah - that puts me in mind of the joke about why women cannot judge distance... men have always told them that this (space you finger & thumb 3" apart) is 6 inches.

Today's commentary is regarding the energy-friendly CFL lightbulbs. There is no way in hell these bulbs are saving us money. According to Wikipedia, the life span of a cfl bulb is between 6000 and 12000 hours. I think they have at least one too many zeros on those numbers. 6000 hours = 250 full 24-hour days. BOTH bulbs in our front hall burned out Monday night at the same time. These lights are on maybe 100 hours per year. And there is no way they have been in the fixture for ... umm, no I can't do the math. But you get the idea. Last week one bulb burned out in the powder room (which is also only on for wee periods of time - I mean, how long does it take to have a 'P'?). Today there is another burned out in the main bathroom. I think it's a communist plot. Along with the weather.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful quilt - I love the subtle colours. Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...