Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Christmas quilts

It seems to be Christmas week here. The wall hanging from Christmas ties was finished today.

UFO ALERT!!
My very own (!) Christmas sampler is quilted and ready for hand sewing of the binding.

Sadie is doing what dogs do at Christmas... getting underfoot. She's discovered the fan on the fireplace (it only took her 2 1/2 years - not the sharpest pencil in the can). I laughed when I saw her standing in front of the hot air blower - enjoying herself as much as she would with her head stuck out the car window.

On my way home from Margaret's on Sunday I was listening to interviews on the CBC. Since then I've been pondering the fact that a human is the only creature on earth (presumably) that KNOWS it is going to die. This encourages us to leave a legacy, such as children, or permanent 'works' of some kind. I have not left any children. Any of you who know DH and I may give thanks now. Is this the reason why I INSIST on making gifts for people, even when I know they end up either in the trash or at the Goodwill Store? Is this why I enjoy teaching...am I leaving a legacy of my knowledge? When I send someone a hand made postcard am I leaving them my love? What do you think you are leaving behind? And is it enough?

1 comment:

  1. I am the same about giving things away. I like knowing that my quilts are being used and loved. I don't have children either so I never worry about leaving anything behind - I like to give things away NOW!

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...