Sunday, April 10, 2016

Quilt Nihon at New England Quilt Museum **photo heavy post**

This was the reason I went to New England last week:  The Quilt Nihon Exhibit at the New England Quilt Museum.

This was the quilt you saw first as you approached the top of the stairs.  If you know me at all, you will know that I am an oversized crybaby.  I had to keep a kleenex in my hand while I viewed the quilts.



As you look at the pics, note the cards that indicate HAND PIECED.




As you also should know, I am a machine quilter.  But let me tell you - I have SO MUCH admiration and respect for the skill of hand quilters.




I love Dresden Plate quilts.  I've completed two so far and am working on a third, but mine will never compare with the likes of this one.



This is the style of Japanese quilt that first attracted my attention many years ago.  I got a subscription to Quilts Japan magazine because of these.  And that led me to my Asia trip in 2009 when I went to the International Great Quilt Festival in Tokyo (and a wee side trip to Singapore to visit my niece).




OMG.  I do not have words.

My index finger, just to give you an idea of the size of those appliqued circles.


I'm a huge fan of red/white/black quilts.  Japanese quilts are also where I developed my love of 'word' fabric.




As one of my traveling companions noted, this is a wonderful blending of traditional and modern styles.  Curved piecing is one of my favorites.




After a couple of hours upstairs viewing the quilts we browsed the gift shop on the main level.  This funky window treatment made me giggle.
You can click on a photo in this post and it will bring up a 'film strip' along the bottom of your screen.  From there, you can view all these pics in a large version.
This is a tiny sample of the quilts.  There are 32 quilts on exhibit until the end of April.  If you are able, don't miss this.  And take kleenex.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - share your wisdom...