Thursday, June 7, 2012

Braid Quilt & Healthy Cookin' Recipes

Here's a shot of the full quilt.

Border quilted with swirls and curls.  This reminds me of fiddlehead ferns.

Teeny quilting in the pieced sashing strips.

Feathered wreath in the focus blocks.

Ooh, and the backs are always so pretty!
Here is my lunch and my supper from yesterday. Salads and a hard boiled egg for lunch.
Salmon, long grain & wild rice, salad for supper. My green salads usually leave a bit to be desired.  Once I hit three ingredients it's done.  This has garden lettuce (I think it is romaine), red peppers, cucumber, and bonus blueberries.  The dressing is homemade, from my niece Mel's recipe.   Technically it is for spinach salad, but both DH and I really like it, so I make up a jarful and we use it most of the time.

This type of meal (high fibre, low fat and/or good fat) is pretty normal for me, so I dunno why my LDL number is high.  Just the luck of the draw, it seems. The doc says my other numbers are VERY good, so he's quite happy to go along with me avoiding cholesterol meds for the next year. We can re-evaluate in 2013. He also told me, with a little smile, that all my exercising will raise my HDL (which is already nice and high) but will probably not lower my LDL.  Gee, great. Thanks.  And, for the record, I've already hit my 150 minutes for the week, so I can be slothful until Sunday.


Mel's dressing - single salad bowl listed.  A jarful is in brackets.
Dijon Mustard 1 Tbsp. (1/4 c.)
Honey 1 Tbsp. (1/4 c.)
Cider Vinegar 2 Tbsp. (1/3 c.)
Olive Oil 3 Tbsp. (1/2 c.)
Combine all ingredients and shake vigorously.  If you make a jarful, keep it in the fridge.

I cook salmon the same way every time.  A coating of brown sugar, then a healthy dose of Spicy Pepper Medley by Club House.  Wrap loosely in foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

The zucchini salad recipe can be found at food.com , but I'll save you the work of looking it up.  **I reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup.

Yummy Zucchini Salad

Servings:  8

Directions:


  1. In a large bowl, toss together the first, six ingredients.
  2. In a jar with a tight fitting lid combine the rest of the ingredients; shake well.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour ; a day is better.
  4. Serve with a slotted spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - share your wisdom...