Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jinny Beyer Moonglow, and the Sally Ann Store

Jinny Beyer Moonglow Quilt.  The paper pieced blocks were all quilted with stitch in the ditch and an arc-ey type of background fill in black thread.  Impossible to photograph, at least by me.  The feathers in variegated thread turned out quite lovely, though, and very visible.  This is a gorgeous quilt.
 I hit the local Salvation Army Thrift Store today in search of wool sweaters for a little craft project I'm planning to teach at Morning Out.  I'll save you the time - there is no such thing as wool sweaters.  They were almost all Acrylic.  I found a few that were blends, with only 10 or 20% wool.  Finally after 20 minutes of riffling through racks of sweaters, I got one that is mostly wool, so it will hopefully felt nicely in the washing machine.  However, after that little find, for some reason I decided to check out the rest of the store.  I ended up at the small appliances (boy, people get rid of a lot of toasters!).  Look at my EXCELLENT $10 bonus item.


DH looked askance at me, and I have to admit I was worried about the grease that had never been cleaned out of it (hopefully not from someone frying up possum burgers... aarrgh...).
But it folds up into a nice little travel package, too!  Now it can come along with me on retreats and cook up my oat pancakes.  Yum yum.

 When I first saw it I had a brief moment of unbridled joy when I thought it might be a panini press.  I AM encouraged however, and may hit the thrift shops a bit more frequently if I can find great stuff like this.  That panini press may be out there somewhere...

3 comments:

  1. That is some beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Value Village or Goodwill. The reason you don't find any wool sweaters is because someone beat you to it. Everyone and her daughter are felting these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you quilted the Moonglow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...