Saturday, December 17, 2011

Oriental Panel & Red Hats

This is a lovely oriental panel which has been enhanced with several borders.
The centre panel was generally stitched around the outlines.
The borders were quilted with a sashiko pattern.

The tiny cornerstones were enhanced with a plum blossom motif.
My Red Hat group had our second annual Pajama Breakfast on Friday morning. The meal was pot luck, and the gals had to be at my place by 8 am - in their jammies.

I was up MUCH TOO EARLY in order to cook my potato pie.  A few drams of Doolies Toffee Cream Liqueur in my coffee kept me going until ... 1:30 when I took a nap. 

I'm sending big kisses out to Susan and Janice who washed up all the china, crystal and silver for me.
We had:  Potato Pie, Smoothies, French Toast casserole with fruit, Scones with preserves & whipped cream, waffles with sauteed apples & whipped cream, fruit tray, profiteroles, and coffee cake.
And, of course, no event would be complete without my useless assistant.


I've been working like a dog very hard getting customer quilts finished for Christmas.  I have two more to go and then I can take some time off.  My normal schedule seems to have come off the rails this year - I have not done my Christmas cards and it is too late now to send any.  So, if you were expecting one....

Before I go to bed at night I like to have a glass of wine and read for a half hour or hour.  Right now I'm reading Unless by Carol Shields (Canadian author).  She has a wonderful vocabulary - I think by page 40 there were already several words I had to look up.  My favorite, so far, is lacrimonious:  extremely teary & weepy.  My cure for lacrimoniosity is vodka.  It totally reverses you, making you lighthearted & giggly.  I highly recommend it if you're having a bad day.  Caution:  exercise judgement - only one or two!!!!

Here is the breakfast recipe, from  www.dairygoodness.ca

Potato Pie with Saint-Damase

  • Course Main Dishes
  • Prep. Time 15 mins
  • Cooking Time 55 mins
  • Yields 4 servings

Preparation

What You Need

2 large potatoes
5 oz (125 g) Canadian Saint-Damase cheese (I used a soft goat cheese)
1 onion
8 slices bacon or pancetta
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream 35 %
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 unbaked pie crust or pizza crust (available in stores)

Instructions

Cut potatoes and Canadian Saint-Damase cheese in small dice, chop onion and bacon.
Heat butter in a saucepan, sauté onion over low heat without browning. Add bacon (or pancetta) and cook 5 minutes. Mix in potato dice and cook 5 more minutes, then drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
In a bowl, beat eggs, then blend in cream and Canadian Saint-Damase cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spread potato mixture on uncooked crust, then pour over egg mixture.
Bake in oven 30 to 40 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - share your wisdom...