Saturday, March 19, 2011

One Block Wonder & Barley Salad

Here is the One Block Wonder, all done.  Well, I mean MY part is done.  Yes, the gods were smiling and I had enough thread.

The winner of My New Best Friend award this winter has been my Ikea drying rack.  Every month my hydro usage goes down, but my invoice goes up.  There is something fishy about that.  I actually really like using the drying rack.  My stuff lasts longer and it helps to humidify the air.  For my t-shirts, I toss them in the dryer on air fluff for 10 minutes to beat out the wrinkles, then I hang them up to dry.  Drying stuff this way doesn't really take much extra time - it might be a 10 minute job, AND it makes me feel very green and wholesome-like.  (Green in a good way, I might add.)  With spring here I will soon be back in the yard using the solar dryer.  translation:  clothesline

Yum yum yum.  DH made lunch today - Bulgur Salad with Feta & Cranberries.  I had 3 helpings and had to make a point of pushing myself away from the table.  I was still licking the spoon as I put the leftovers in the fridge.  If I offer you salad out of the fridge you might want to think twice about accepting.
Personally, I never add the cherry tomatoes since I am such a tomato snob.  Only garden fresh summer tomatoes pass these lips. The salad is delish without them.
====================================
Barley Salad with Feta and Cranberries
 (Barley or Quinoa or Bulgur or Rice)

2 cups water or broth (I use vegetable broth)
1 cup grain (see above options)
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
14 oz. (398 ml) can chickpeas, drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
3 tbsp. Balsamic vinaigrette
salt & pepper to taste

•    bring water to a boil, add grain and simmer for the necessary time
•    transfer to a large bowl or plate and allow to cool
•    in another large bowl, combine cranberries, feta cheese, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber and parsley. Toss to combine.
•    add cooled grain then drizzle vinaigrette over salad and mix.  Season to taste with salt & pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I love drying my laundry either outside on the line during summer or indoor on a rack too....it's my favorite 'chore' to do! ;)
    That salad sounds yummy; am going to keep the recipe for future use...wish you had posted a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete

Please - share your wisdom...